There’s nothing quite like Texas heat. It seriously feels like an oven the moment I step outside. So, how am I surviving? Well for one, I’m indoors. But what about the rest of the summer when you want to go out to the pools or shop at outlet malls and have barbecues with friends? Here are a few important tips for surviving that summer heat.
- Dehydration hits you before you know it, so keep a bottle in your hand (or purse) at all times.
- Beauty bonus? Water keeps your skin, hair, and nails healthy.
- Downing water throughout the day helps controls your portion sizes, which keeps you slim and trim for your teeny bikini!
2. Embrace Natural Beauty. Summertime agrees so well with your natural beauty. Why spend an hour styling your hair and perfecting that smoky eye when you could end up at the beach or pool by the end of the night? Sure, we all love to apply heat to our hair, but make that the minority this summer. You’re out and about being a free-spirit and enjoying the lack of structure, so be prepared for any event by enhancing–rather than overpowering–your natural beauty!
- Apply a flexible gel or leave-in conditioner on damp hair to let your natural texture come to life. (A post on my favorite products for taming my natural curls is on its way!)
- Skip the heavy, liquid foundation that’ll melt right off your face and replace it with a tinted moisturizer or BB cream. I’ve been using Maybelline’s BB cream recently and have enjoyed the results.
- Feel too plain with a natural face? Instantly boost your look with a colorful lip. It will still keep the rest of your face neutral, and add a pop to your outfit.
- Invest in a good pair of sunglasses to keep your eyes hidden from UVA/UVB rays. I have my eye on a pair of RayBan aviators, which is a universally flattering sunglass shape.
- Don’t skimp on the sunblock. Most face moisturizers have SPF in them nowadays, but be sure to have SPF lotion for the rest of your body as well.
- Remember your hair and lips! Spray a heat protectant before leaving the house, and have multiple chapsticks handy in case you lose one.
- Need layers? Double up on accessories. Stack bracelets on your wrists for a trendy look.
- If you want to wear a cropped top but aren’t comfortable with having a lot of skin out, pair it with overalls or a maxi skirt to keep exposure at a minium.
- Can’t leave the house without some sort of outer layer? 90s fashion is in right now, so tie that plaid shirt around your waist in the meantime.
- If you absolutely can’t workout unless you’re outdoors, set your alarm and go before the sun rises to its fullest potential. Learn the hottest points of the day for your city and make an effort to go for a run before that time comes.
- Join a gym! Some gym memberships here can cost $90 a month, but there are also ones as low as $10 a month and are still fully equipped with everything you need to stay fit while staying cool.
- Workout in the comfort of your own home! DVDs often cut your workout time in half without sacrificing the amount of calories burned.
- “There’s an app for that.” Two words: Simply Yoga. Oh, and here’s another word: Free.
Join the Style Club!