Being a fashion blogger (especially one that has a separate full-time job) can be overwhelming at times. Your plate is always full, which can cause a few scatterbrain moments. Because of this, I’m a huge fan of making lists, even mental checklists. Sometimes I feel like I’d lose my head if it weren’t attached to my shoulders. I know I’m not the only one with that scatterbrained feeling, so for this week’s IFB project I compiled a checklist of summer essentials for the on-the-go fashion blogger. These are items that I make sure to carry with me whenever I’m out and about, because I like to work on my blog in some shape or form even if I’m not sitting in the comfort of my own home. Besides, you never know when inspiration may hit!
- Organizer / Planner – Bringing a planner or tablet wherever you go is a must if you tend to live a busy life. I keep a mini notebook with everything related to my blog inside, including a planner. If the bag I’m carrying that day isn’t big enough to hold the notebook, I have a thinner to-do list tablet where I keep a checklist of every blog related thing I want to accomplish that day.
- Pens / Pencils / Highlighters – There’s nothing worse than needing to write something down and realizing there isn’t a pen at the bottom of the purse like you hoped. You can always use your phone to jot things down, but writing by hand helps you retain information better.
- Extra Camera Lens – Inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes. Having an extra camera lens on hand will help you capture your inspiration source in the best angle.
- That Day’s Makeup / Nail Color – Nail polish is a must for summer essentials. Detail shots are some of my favorites to shoot, but what if you chip your nail polish while out and about? Keep your color of the day in your bag so nothing can stop you from getting that perfect shot. The same goes for having to reapply lipstick.
- Smartphone (fun summer case optional) – Who can leave home without it? Smartphones are a blogger’s best friend. While you may not be able to publish a new blog post from your phone, you can still stay connected thanks to all the great apps available. (A post on the best apps for the fashion blogger is coming soon!)
- 6. Tablet – If you’re like me, you always end up at Starbucks during some point of your free time. Keeping your iPad or tablet with you is important, because you can draft blog posts from your device without having to be at home. Besides, one of the keys to fashion blogging part time is making the most of your time.
- Earbuds – Going along with the Starbucks sit-ins, keeping earbuds with you can help center your focus if you decide to draft a few posts while on the go. Drown out the world with music and let your fingers type away.
- Food / Water – Being a blogger is no easy task. With a separate work life on top of that, you feel like you are constantly busy. Sometimes life can get so busy that you forget to eat! It’s important, especially in the summertime, to keep water and healthy snacks with you. It’s hard to focus on an empty stomach, not to mention skipping meals is unhealthy. Take care of yourself!
- Sunglasses – Sunglasses are a necessity because of obvious summer sun reasons, but also for photography purposes. If you get in the mood to shoot a look while you’re out but that lack of sleep from the previous night is showing in your eyes, sunglasses are a quick fix. No one will ever know the difference.
Camera – Last but absolutely not least is the fashion blogger’s staple. Always have a camera with you, as you never know where inspiration will hit. Maybe you spot scenery that would make a great sidenote to your OOTD post, or you see something that you want to snap and add to your inspiration board. Your phone’s camera can often get the job done, but it’s best to keep the real thing with you when possible.
Learn my style and beauty secrets!
Gain FREE access to the resource library: