We haven’t talked about general life stuff since I shared the importance of reflection, so I’m back with another post to help you live a more positive life. I was inspired by Jenny Mustard to create a list of my own, after watching her video sharing 30 things to stop doing this year. If you recall from my style staples video, balance is my word of the year so I’ve switched the format up just a bit.
Instead of focusing only on what you should stop doing, I’m splitting it up and also sharing 15 things to start doing. Check out each list below and let me know if there’s anything you would add for a positive life! And, because I’d like to end on a positive note, let’s get the “stop” portion knocked out first!
15 Things to Stop Doing this Year
- Stop overthinking everything.
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Stop skipping your skincare routine.
- Stop keeping things in your closet for “a rainy day” that never comes.
- Stop overworking your body.
- Stop surrounding yourself with negativity.
- Stop doubting yourself.
- Stop waiting for the perfect time.
- Stop asking to pick someone’s brain.
- Stop focusing on the negative.
- Stop putting yourself last.
- Stop putting so much heat on your hair.
- Stop downplaying your accomplishments.
- Stop neglecting self-care.
- Stop putting too much on your plate.
As you can see from the list, the overall theme for a more positive life is to stop doing things that can cause harm (physically, mentally, or spiritually) to yourself. There are a few frivolous things and just general best practices for a peaceful life within the list, but most of the items are focused on the betterment of yourself. We’re naturally prone to downplay what we do and hype what others achieve, but there should be a balance. Remember that you are your own worst critic, and if you don’t believe in yourself then how do you expect anyone else to? Alright, that’s enough cliches for now so let’s move on to the “start” list.
15 Things to Start this Year for a Positive Life
- Start spreading positivity.
- Start supporting the people you care about.
- Start leaving space on your calendar for yourself.
- Start doing more of what you love.
- Start your day with a glass of water.
- Start making SMART goals.
- Start regularly clearing out the clutter in your closet.
- Start celebrating your small wins.
- Start loving yourself.
- Start taking more brain breaks.
- Start learning something new.
- Start using a deep conditioner on a consistent basis.
- Start incorporating physical activity in your daily life.
- Start cooking at home more often.
- Start believing in yourself.
A majority of this list focuses on self-love. Naturally, the road to a positive life is built on self-love, compassion, and acceptance! Make this year your best year by putting yourself first and learning when to take a break. We are prone to the “hustle” mentality, but that isn’t healthy and I hope that we slowly begin to divert away from it. Instead, we should aim to live a balanced and healthy life. Don’t be afraid to rest. You aren’t “doing nothing” or “wasting a day” (something I struggle with recognizing) when you take a mental break and indulge in relaxation. You’re actually resetting your mind and letting your body recharge so you can jump back into whatever task you were working on with renewed vigor!
This list is not all-inclusive, so please feel free to share with me what things you want to start and stop doing!
Recreate the look:
FTC: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, a small commission is received when purchases are made through the links. Please show your support by shopping on the site!