It’s time for the annual spring beauty refresh! Every year, I come back to this post in early spring and refresh your life with all the beauty essentials! Today, I’m sharing the 9 beauty essentials that will help kick your spring style up a notch.
My eyes are sensitive to light so sunglasses are a year-round thing for me. If you’re on the opposite side of the spectrum, then now is the time to start incorporating a few pairs into your daily style. When picking out a new pair of sunglasses, think about the lens color that will complement most of your wardrobe and the style that best fits your personal taste.
I used to have a massive collection of sunglasses a few years ago, but I prefer to keep my collection down to 5 or less these days. As you may have noticed on Instagram, Prive Revaux has been my go-to brand this year. They’re $30 a piece and the quality is incredible. I always wear The Coco style, but definitely check out their full range if you’re on the market for sunglasses at a great price!
- Flat top shades give off an edgy, fashionable vibe to any outfit.
- Cat-eye sunglasses add flair and a bit of quirkiness to an outfit, so this is a great style to wear with fun looks.
- Aviators are a classic style that flatter most face shapes, so it’s the perfect beginner option.
2. A Seasonal Fragrance
At the bare minimum, everyone should have 1-3 fragrances: a signature scent that’s appropriate year-round, a fall/winter scent, and a spring/summer scent. Although I generally like warm and spicy scents, the spring season is the perfect opportunity to branch out and experiment with floral fragrances. Not all floral scents are created equal, so go into the fragrance shopping with an open mind.
- Do you prefer an artificial floral scent?
- Are you more of a natural flower person?
- Or do you want a floral perfume that has a hint of something sweet?
These are all questions you should know when shopping for your seasonal perfume. It will help speed up the shopping process and prevent you from smelling the entire section labeled “floral”. This year, I’m having a go at the Maison Margiela Replica fragrances and I really like the Flower Market scent for spring, but I’ve also listed some of the other picks below:
- Balenciaga’s Florabotanica fragrance is one that I recommend for those of you looking to stay in that naturally floral family.
- Chloe’s Roses de Chloe perfume is one I have gravitated towards in previous years. It has a “fresh-cut roses” scent with a mix of bergamot, perfect for someone who usually reaches for sensual fragrances.
- The Elizabeth and James Nirvana fragrances are all-time favorites of mine, and the White scent is perfect for Spring. I will say that finding their fragrances online is like trying to find a needle in a haystack right now as the brand transitions to being sold exclusively at Kohl’s, but definitely check them out while they’re in stock at your local Sephora! (Bonus: They’re on sale!!!)
3. Hair Accessories
Hair accessories are particularly relevant this year, as they’re a huge trend right now. I won’t go into too much detail in today’s post since I’ve already shared how you can add hair accessories to your style, but below are the accessories that made the short list!
- Hair scarves are cute accents to tie around a low ponytail and add some color to a plain outfit.
- Scrunchies surprisingly double as fun bracelets to wear around your wrist. They’re a great alternative to carrying around a plain black hair tie on those days where you’ll be out for hours.
- Bobby pins are versatile in that they can be layered to create beautiful patterns across your hair, either for formal events or casual festival nights.
I don’t talk enough about hats, and that should change! Hats are similar to hair accessories in that they add flair to your outfit. A hat can take your look from minimal to Parisian, or from brunch to vacation! I’m a big fan of wearing a floppy sun hat with a maxi dress. Not only does it elevate your outfit, but it also protects your face from the sun! Because we all want to be outdoors as much as possible during Spring, protecting your face (and body) from the harmful sun rays is important. Of course, you should always wear SPF, but a hat is like double duty.
- Floppy hats are fun for flowy outfits like dresses and skirts.
- Berets can add a touch of chic Parisian vibes to otherwise casual outfits.
- Snapbacks fit the vibe of athleisure looks, so reach for one during your sneaker-wearing days.
5. Weightless Foundation
When it comes to makeup, a flawlessly fresh face with glowy skin is the ultimate Spring makeup look. I used to reach for a pressed powder as my go-to foundation years ago, but I’ve found that a liquid foundation ends up providing a more natural finish. Even if you have oily skin, Spring is the time to embrace a little sheen. Even mattifying foundations on my oily skin end up as a natural finish, so don’t be afraid of a little shine! The key to wearing liquid foundation in warmer months is finding one that has a thin consistency and feels weightless on the skin.
- Fenty Beauty’s Pro Filt’r foundation has a natural matte finish perfect for oily girls, yet the consistency is very thin so it feels comfortable enough to wear in the spring.
- The NARS All Day Luminous foundation is another great option that normal to dry skin girls can also enjoy. Its thin consistency makes for easy application, yet the coverage is a buildable medium.
- Right now, my go-to foundation is NARS Tinted Moisturizer. I loved the Velvet Matte formula in the past, but it’s hard to find in stores these days so I picked up the original version and have been enjoying it!
- Lastly, I also recommend Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wearing Weightless Foundation because the color range includes several undertones and the formula feels lightweight.
6. Pore Refining Primer
A pore refining and mattifying primer is the key to spring makeup success for my fellow oily girls. Do you want to ditch the matte foundations and switch to a natural finish? Your base will help with that. If there’s one thing I’ve learned as an oily girl, it’s to embrace the shine (to a point) during the warm months. While nothing will keep you flawless all day, a primer will certainly extend your foundation’s wear time.
Personally, I find that a primer with either a thin or slightly tacky consistency is your best bet.
- I’m currently using Bobbi Brown’s Primer Plus Mattifier, one I’ve been a huge fan of and have consistently worn for a little shy of a year now.
- Dr Brandt’s Pores No More Pore Refining Primer is another favorite thanks to its lightweight formula. It blends in like a dream and has a mousse-like texture.
- For a cooling and mattifying base, Origins makes a Willowherb primer that I think most oily girls will love. The packaging is essentially a tiny mousse bottle and the product feels cold on your face in the morning–a great way to wake yourself up!
7. Cheek Highlighter+Bronzer Duo
Ditch the heavy contour for Spring and focus solely on achieving a glowy face with bronzer or a cheek highlighter. Bronzers with a finely milled shimmer like the Hourglass Ambient Light Bronzing Powder will give you the fresh-faced glow from within. If you don’t mind a multi-step process, you can wear a matte bronzer and then add a little highlight to the highest points of your cheeks. The two will complement each other and give your face a sunkissed appearance.
- Fenty Beauty’s Killawatt in the shade Mean Money/Hu$tla Baby has been my go-to highlighter for a solid year now.
- Bobbi Brown makes a beautiful matte bronzer that comes in shade ranges deep enough for some skin tones similar to mine. (I use the shade Deep.)
- Fenty Beauty recently launched a bronzer collection as well! I haven’t purchased them just yet so I can’t speak to the quality, but they have a few shades that will work for those of you close to or a little deeper than my skin tone.
- Marena Beaute is another brand I have on my radar. They cater to deeper skin tones so their blush range includes deep browns that can be used as a bronzer.
The important thing to look for when purchasing highlighter and bronzer is the undertone. Similar to foundation, you want your highlight/bronzer duo to fall in line with your skin’s natural undertone.
That wraps up this year’s Spring Beauty Essentials post! All in all, I’m targeting the same beauty look I normally reach for during the spring season: a fresh face with a lot of glow!
What are some of your Spring beauty essentials?
FTC: This post contains affiliate links; meaning, a small commission is received when purchases are made using the links. Please show your support by shopping the post! It’s greatly appreciated and helps keep the site running!