Happy Tuesday! I’m back at it again with an outfit post turned trend review. Are you guys loving the incorporation of trends? I’ve tested out co-ords and colorful stripes so far, and this month we’re moving into accessories.
Even though I usually have my outfit pictures taken for me these days, I like to brush off my own camera and snap myself on occasion. While I love having help available, I still want to learn and grow as a photographer so it’s important to continue exercising that skillset. I think the last time I shot my own outfit pictures was literally a year ago! I say all that to say, today’s post was totally shot by me! This look was captured after checking out a local farmer’s market on Saturday, and I’m pleased with the outcome. Keep reading to find out what I think of all the straw bags in stores right now.
The Straw Bag | What I Wore
If you follow me on Instagram, then you may recognize this look from over the weekend. After sharing a sneak peek of the bag in my stories, I shot the full outfit since it was my first day wearing the new straw bag. As you can tell from the latest lookbook video, I am all about casual weekend outfits right now. Our weather has been hot and humid with sporadic thunderstorms, so I’ve been sticking with the basics this season.
The salmon tee is actually the same top featured in the double denim outfit post, just a different color. I forgot I had it because I’ve been wearing the yellow version so often. My tee is by BP from Nordstrom, but Project Social T also offers a similar top. These tees are great to wear when it’s hot outside because the material is a soft raw-edge knit that’s super breathable.
Because pants aren’t an option in Texas right now, I styled my newest pair of Levis shorts with the outfit. I love the sandy wash of color on these shorts, it really ties the straw bag to the look. I wear Levis jeans on occasion but I hadn’t purchased any shorts until recently. These are the 501 high-waist cutoffs that have a bit of a vintage vibe because of the button fly. Much like their jeans, Levi’s shorts are true denim so they don’t have any stretch to them. I actually like that for the most part, but I do wish their waist had a little stretch.
The challenge with true denim shorts is finding a pair of high-waisted shorts that don’t stand up next to your waist and instead actually fit the area. I don’t have a large bottom by any stretch of the imagination, but even I have the waist-to-butt ratio issue with true denim shorts. Maybe that’s why everyone wore belts with their high-waisted denim in the 80s!
Tips for Styling a Straw Bag
My outfit can give you a sense of how to style a straw bag in the summertime with a casual tee and shorts outfit, but what if you want to wear it with a variety of outfits? Below are some of my tips for styling (and picking) your perfect straw bag:
- When purchasing a straw bag, make sure the bag is woven securely so you don’t run into the issue of straw flyaways breaking off and rubbing against your skin or clothing. Talk about uncomfortable!
- Midi dresses with buttons down the front are made for straw bags! This retro look is very on trend, and it’s conservative enough to wear anywhere! I purchased one from Forever 21 that should be featured on the site once I wear it, but Urban Outfitters also has a few top-rated options.
- Whether you have a classic straw bag or one that’s colorful and printed, you can’t go wrong wearing it with an all-white outfit. Think white maxi dress or a white trouser set for a clean summer look.
- Sundresses look fresh and youthful on their own, but a straw bag adds a vacation aspect to the look. Try pairing a red printed sundress with your favorite straw bag and keep your hair and makeup styling minimal.
Would I try the trend again?
Absolutely! If you’ve been keeping up with the fashion posts this season, you may know that I would have tried this trend earlier if I had luck finding the perfect bag! I totally lucked out that Nordstrom restocked Street Level’s round crossbody bag a few weeks after it sold out the first time. It actually sold out again after I purchased it, so it seems to be the most popular style offered. The good news is, the bag is still available at Bloomingdales just in case you’re eyeing it as well!
Shop the Straw Bag Trend:
Love this post? You may also like:
- Trying Trends | Matching Co-Ords
- How to Mix Prints Like a Pro
- Trying Trends | Colorful Stripes
- The Summer Edit | Style Must-Haves
FTC: This site uses affiliate links. I receive a commission for purchases made through select links in this post.