If you missed it, I shared a boot edit last week to give you a glimpse into some of the hottest boot styles this season. I also picked up a few new pairs during the Black Friday weekend and shared a preview of them in my IG Stories, so it’s a good idea to follow me on Instagram! Edits are some of my favorites posts to write because I’m essentially online shopping with a purpose! I know it can be a little overwhelming when you shop, so my goal with these posts is to help you piece your seasonal wardrobe together.
This time around, we’re talking about sweaters. Can I just say, there are so many cute sweater options out right now? I typically have a hard time finding the perfect sweater for the season, but my wishlist is so huge right now after pulling pieces for this post. The hard part will be narrowing it down! Let me know which sweater style is your favorite! Now, let’s get to the sweater edit.
The Sweater Edit | Jumpers, Dresses, and Ponchos…oh my!
The Sweater Dress
The sweater dress is a seasonally appropriate way to wear mini and mid-length dresses in the fall and winter. This is also the style featured in today’s outfit pics, which I picked up from Tobi. I paired the sweater dress with snake print booties this time around because I can’t get enough of prints and they add some texture to the look. With sweater dresses, you really just need 1-2 good options in your closet that will last a few seasons.
Styling tips for the sweater dress:
- Over-the-knee (OTK) boots and sweater dresses look perfect together. The shaft height keeps your legs warm and in style, so it’s easily the most popular way to wear this option. Keep it casual by looking for a boot with a shorter heel.
- If OTK boots aren’t your thing, you can still rock a sweater dress! Style it with a pair of booties like I did, and just add opaque tights for extra warmth if you’re in a cooler climate.
- For the most versatility, pick a sweater dress that is semi-fitted with balloon-style sleeves. While fitted dresses are best for night looks, a semi-fitted option can go straight from work to weekend. Find out what other things you can wear from work to the weekend by checking out this previous post.
Shop the sweater dress selection below:
The Chunky Knit and Pullover Sweaters
This season, chunky knits are my absolute favorite sweaters! You’ll notice the selection I’ve curated below is easily the largest in the post. I recently picked up an olive sweater from Urban Outfitters, but I’ve had my eye on a few more options as well.
A good chunky knit sweater will last multiple seasons, so I usually will pick 1 or 2 up each year to build up my selection over time. The key is in purchasing colors or prints that you didn’t pick up in previous years.
Styling tips for the pullover sweater:
- If you live in a colder climate, shop around for chunky knit sweaters rather than a standard pullover. It’s even better if they have a turtleneck. Chunky knits are warmer and timeless, so you can shop a neutral shade and feel confident in knowing it’ll last several years.
- For the “fashion blogger” brunch look, style a neutral or plaid sweater with a pair of medium wash jeans. Tuck and blouse the front while scrunching the sleeves, and finish off the outfit with your favorite boot.
- Pullovers can be dressed up, too! A fitted pullover can be styled with a bodycon midi skirt and strappy heels for a chic, holiday look.
Shop the knits and pullover selection below:
The Open Cardigan and Poncho
Last but not least, let’s chat about the cardigan and poncho section of the sweater style. The open sweater is easily the most casual and effortless option available. I have a plaid waterfall version from a few years ago that I still like to wear when the weather is unpredictable. Open cardigans and ponchos are great options for those of us who live in warmer climates. They are much easier to throw on and take off if the weather fluctuates throughout the day.
Styling tips for the open cardigans:
- The easiest way to style this is with your wardrobe staples. That’s right, use a white tee and denim as the base of your outfit. From there, the open cardigan can completely define the mood of your outfit. For a smart look, throw on a plaid poncho and black OTK boots.
- Cardigans can be edgy, too. Pair your favorite band tee (one that you listen to, please) with leather pants and a studded boot. Then, throw on an oversized cardigan in a contrasting color for a fun pop. Think vintage gray band tee, leather pants, studded boots, and a red cardigan.
- Are you a huge fan of skirts? Don’t let the weather stop you! Pair a flowy blouse tucked into a mini skirt with your coziest cardigan. Add a pair of sheer tights and knee-high boots to complete your outfit, and you’ll be ready to walk the streets in style!
Shop the open cardigans and ponchos below:
So the traditional pullover style is my current favorite, which style do you prefer?
Shop my outfit:
Love this post? Keep reading:
- Rethink Your Staples with RE/DONE
- How to Style | Work to Weekend Basics
- What to Buy for Christmas | Holiday Gift Guide
- The Boot Edit | 3 Styles to Boost Your Outfits
FTC: This post, and other pages on the site, contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission when purchases are made through the links provided. Please show your support by shopping the links!