Hello, beautiful people! Welcome back to the site! With my free time being extremely limited this past summer, I took a much-needed breather from pushing out content. I definitely missed writing but my word of the year kept popping up in my head and I could tell I was one task away from burning out. The good news is, I’ve taken some things off my plate, summer is behind me, and I’m back to having a few extra hours in the week to talk about fashion and life! (Can I get an amen?!)
Hopefully, you were following on Instagram over the summer so you still got a little taste of style! I have some beauty and lifestyle content planned for you all, but it only felt right to focus on fashion for my first post. I missed it! Besides, we’re quickly making our way through the style staples! We left off at denim jeans, so it makes sense to flip the denim from bottom to top and talk about denim jackets.
Before diving back headfirst in this post, make sure you’re all caught up with the Style Staple Series! We have just a few more pieces to highlight before wrapping up the year-long series, so now is your chance to start from the beginning and catch up:
The Style Staples You Need in Your Wardrobe (so far!)
- #1 – Defining Closet Staples
- #2 – The Classic Watch
- #3 – The Leather Jacket
- #4 – White Sneakers
- #5 – The Little White Dress
- #6 – The Trench Coat
- #7 – Denim Jeans
3 Denim Jacket Styles to Rotate Year-Round
If you’re a longtime reader of the site, then you may notice I have always incorporated denim jackets in my outfits over the years. For one, I live in Texas and a denim jacket is typically the perfect jacket to wear with an outfit. It keeps you warm when necessary but also is light enough to wear when it’s hot but you want an extra layer. Through my years of trial and error, I’ve identified three denim jacket styles that will cover all of your fashion needs: cropped, classic, and oversized.
Is it necessary to simultaneously own all three styles? Absolutely not! I actually do own each style right now and I find myself gravitating towards one over the others throughout various points of the year. Use the curated selection below to give you a starting point and figure out what you like! My biggest tip, regardless of which style you choose, is to stick with a medium wash. Dark denim can look dated in jacket form, and a lighter wash won’t provide as much versatility as the classic medium wash.
The Cropped Fit
A cropped denim jacket is a must-have for those of you who are on the shorter side. My go-to cropped jacket is from Zara, and I love it the most right now because it has a capped shoulder that softens up the jacket. Mixed with the distressed hem, the details in the jacket add a bit of flair to my outfits. If you have a short torso, I recommend trying out the cropped style because it naturally falls where your waist is so your figure isn’t lost underneath the layers.
The Classic Fit
This is the style that most people start with, as it’s the easiest to find. The classic denim jacket is simply the style with the traditional fit. It’s full-length and semi-fitted, meaning this cut will fit more like a traditional blazer or cardigan.
The Oversized Fit
Last but not least is the oversized jacket. I wore this one a lot during the first half of the year before switching over to my new favorite, the cropped style. The oversized denim jacket can vary in terms of length, but it typically has a much looser fit all around. This is a great style to pick if you like to layer jackets over thicker pieces like sweaters or hoodies. I personally liked to throw on an oversized jacket when my outfit was fitted because it added volume and balance.
How to Style a Denim Jacket Each Season
Once you find the perfect denim jacket, the fun can begin! You’d be surprised at how many ways you can style a denim jacket throughout the year. Even when it’s cold outside, there’s always a way to throw a little denim in the mix. Below are a few quick ways to style your denim jacket for the seasons:
- Winter: Depending on where you live, wearing a denim jacket in the wintertime might sound a bit wild. Believe it or not, you can still wear a denim jacket in the winter if you layer appropriately! Rather than treating it like your sole outerwear, think of the denim jacket as your indoor layer. While outdoors, toss a heavy winter coat over the top so you’re dressed to fit the weather.
- Spring: During Spring, you want to incorporate lighter colors and soft prints in your wardrobe. A denim jacket will dress down a lighter outfit in the daytime, so this is my favorite season to wear this layer! Try pairing all white with a denim jacket for a pretty spring outfit. Think white jeans and a white blouse or a linen pant with a fitted tank.
- Summer: Summertime is all about the flowy fabrics and short dresses, but that doesn’t mean you have to ditch the denim jacket! Take a page from my book and pair a babydoll dress with a denim jacket and a pair of wedges.
- Fall: In the fall, you have a bit more flexibility with light layers. For a cute and casual autumn look, layer a denim jacket over a sweatshirt dress and knee-high boots.
What tips do you have for styling a denim jacket?
FTC: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, I receive a small commission when purchases are made through the links. Please show your support by shopping the site!