Welcome to the final post of the style staple series! All year long, we discussed what wardrobe staples are, why you need them, and highlighted 9 pieces to include in your closet. Today, we’re talking about the 10th and final staple this year: black pants.
The Best Black Pants to Invest In
Black pants are a favorite of mine! When it comes to staple black pants, there are three styles I recommend sticking with:
- Slim fit
- Straight Leg
- Wide Leg
Flared pants aren’t included in the staple selection because they traditionally aren’t a timeless cut. If you own black flared pants, you should also consider adding one of the classic cuts to your wardrobe as well. My favorite option to wear is the slim/skinny fit because I find this cut to be the most flattering on my frame. Slim pants are also the easiest to wear with boots, which are my favorite shoe style in the fall and winter months. If you don’t want to worry about the denim eventually fading, you can opt for a work trouser of the same cut.
Tips for Styling Black Pants
As far as styling black pants, the options are endless! Whenever you want to wear a specific top or jacket and have no clue what to pair it with, nine times out of ten black pants will get the job done! Unless I’m trying to elongate my frame and wear a monochromatic look, I typically stay away from pairing black boots with black pants.
In today’s outfit, the outfit didn’t call for black boots, so I added a print with snakeskin boots. This outfit is super casual yet still feels stylish because of the printed shoes and graphic tee. I added a denim jacket for texture, which I think brings a beautiful pop of color to the outfit. A few quick and easy ways to style black pants include:
- For the office: Keep it simple and style a white blouse with slim black pants, a leopard pointed flat, and a chain-strap bag.
- For the night out: A high-waisted wide-leg trouser looks chic and stylish when paired with a lace bodysuit. Wear an open blazer for extra coverage or opt to go without to show a little more skin.
- For the weekend: WHen you need to do something casual and don’t know what to wear, pair black jeans with your favorite graphic tee and throw on some boots. It can look a little more put together than blue denim, and boots over sneakers help pull the outfit together as a complete look.
Where to Find Black Pants
Depending on your budget, you may want to invest in a luxury pair of black pants. I haven’t ventured out to designer denim just yet, so I don’t have a brand to recommend, but I will say that my current budget (and taste) loves the Topshop Jamie jeans and the Zara Original denim. Although both options are fast fashion, I’m able to wear them for several years before eventually having to replace them with a new pair. Even as the denim naturally fades over time, I find these two styles fade into a wearable tone, which I then repurpose with casual graphic tees.
To recap the year, below are all the posts from the style staple series!
- INTRO: Defining Closet Staples
- 1. The Classic Watch
- 2. The Leather Jacket
- 3. White Sneakers
- 4. The Little White Dress
- 5. The Trench Coat
- 6. Denim Jeans
- 7. The Denim Jacket
- 8. The Striped T-Shirt
- 9. Chunky Sweaters
Let me know in the comments which staple is your favorite!
– Photos by DesertWillowStudios –
FTC: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, a small commission is received when purchases are made using the links provided. Please show your support by shopping the links!